16 Apr Career in Fashion Designing
Fashion Designing is a course that covers the wide spectrum of fabrics, styles, patterns, colors, and trends that define the fashion of a particular era. It is not just limited to clothes and trends but also includes the area of accessories, handbags, and footwear. In addition to this, it also involves communicating for the fashion industry. Fashion is important in society because it has the potential to bring different people together to celebrate their individuality. It is not just about “glamour” but also about presenting yourself and gives other people an understanding of your personality.
- The student should have completed 12th from any board (State/ National/ NIOS) in India.
- Students from ANY stream (Science/ Commerce/ Humanities) are eligible for Fashion Designing Courses
- If a student wants to pursue a Bachelor of Fashion Designing course in Fashion Technology, Science (PCM) is a must.
- Specific Colleges/ Institutes for Fashion Designing Courses may mention additional eligibility criteria during the time of admission.
- Admission to the course can be based on merit and entrance exam scores.
- The student should score a minimum of 50% in their 12th-grade board exams.
- Some colleges require a portfolio post the entrance exam and also have group discussions/ personal interviews
- Creativity test
- Visual Ability
- Quantitative Ability
- Analytical and Logical Ability
- Communication Ability and General Comprehension
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Lateral thinking
The various entrance exams that the students have to give to pursue their graduation course in Fashion Designing are as follows. In addition to this, there are other colleges too that may have their specific entrance exam for admission:
*It is important to note that most of the fashion designing entrance exams may happen before 12th board exams and hence students must start filling up admission forms at the beginning of their 12th grade itself.
|Entrance Exam Name||Entrance Exam Month |
*subject to change (COVID)
|NID Entrance Exam – National Institute of Design||Prelims – March Mains – April||Ahmedabad|
|NIFT Entrance Exam – National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam||February||Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Gandhinagar (16 centers)|
|UCEED – Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design||January||IIT Bombay, Guhwati and IITD Jabalpur|
|GD Goenka Design Aptitude Test||March||Mumbai|
|AIEED – All India Entrance Exam for Design||February||Many colleges across the country|
|IIAD Entrance Exam – Indian Institute of Art and Design||January||New Delhi|
|Pearl Academy Entrance Exam||February, April, May (Different dates)||Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Jaipur|
|SEED – Symbiosis Entrance Exam for Design||May||Pune|
|MDAT – Manipal University Design Aptitude Test||May||Manipal|
|SOFT CET – School of Fashion Technology||May||Pune|
There are various colleges that the student can go for to pursue their degree in Fashion Designing. Based on research, sharing some of the top institutes for fashion designing in the country:
|National Institute of Design (NID) – Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) (Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore & many more)|
|ISDI School of Design and Innovation, Mumbai|
|Amity School of Fashion Technology, Mumbai|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune|
|Pearl Academy (Mumbai, Jaipur, Delhi and Bangalore)|
|Vogue Institute of Art and Design, Bangalore|
|International Institute of Fashion Design, Mumbai|
The different Diploma and Certification courses that a student can pursue if they want to make a shift from their current field and pursue fashion designing are as follows. If a student is already pursuing their career in the field of fashion designing, the student must only take up courses that help them on learning skills that are not covered in their curriculum because the course in itself is quite intensive. In addition to the ones mentioned below, there are various other certification and diploma programs that can be pursued, depending on their area of interest and skills:
- Certificate in Creative Fashion Styling – 6 Months
- Certificate in Draping and Pattern Making – 1 Month
- Certificate in Textiles for Interiors and Fashion – 1 Year
- Certificate in Pattern Making & Garment Construction -3 Months
- Fashion Illustration & Design – 3 Months
- Certificate in Fashion Designing – 6 Months
- Certificate in Fundamental of Fashion Designing – 6 Months
- Certificate in Fashion Styling & Draping – 6 Months
- Diploma in Fashion Design – 1-3 years
- Diploma in Fashion Design and Technology – 3 years
- Diploma in Retail Management – 1 year
- Diploma in Fashion Journalism – 1 year
An aspiring student who needs to ace at their course and career in Fashion Designing, should have certain skills and abilities to be successful in the career. The student needs to be high in the skill of verbal ability, spatial and visualization ability, and in soft skills like leadership and decision- making, clerical and organizational ability, and social and cooperation skills.
The personality of an individual also makes an impact on the profile/specialization the student takes. For pursuing a career in Fashion Designing, an individual could be an introvert/ extrovert or an ambivert with respect to interaction with people. Depending on their personality, they could choose specific profiles they would want to pursue in the future which align with their needs. The individual needs to be more intuitive to look at the bigger picture and bring in creativity needs to be feeling-oriented and also be organized to ensure the work is completed on time and the deadlines are met.
The different post-graduation courses post completion of a Bachelor Degree in Fashion Designing are:
- Fashion Styling and Image Design
- Fashion Design
- Fashion Communication
- Costume Design – Film TV and Theatre
- Accessories Design
- Sustainable Fashion Design
- Fashion and Textiles
- Fashion and Design Management
- Management and Creation of Fashion Brand
In addition to this, there are various other courses the students can opt for depending on their areas of interest and skills.
The different career options post studying fashion designing are:
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Marketer
- Fashion Concept Manager
- Quality Controller
- Fashion Consultant/ Personal Stylist
- Technical Designer
- Fashion Coordinator
- Fashion Show Organizers
- Trend Forecasting
In addition to this, there are various other career options that the student can opt for depending on their areas of interest and skills.
Amongst the various designing courses, fashion designing is one of the most sought-after courses in the field. Many students apply for the courses every year but only the top-performing students get into the top institutes. To perform well and ace in the field, it is important to start early and build upon your portfolio as soon as you can and prepare for various entrance exams. It is important to constantly build upon your creative skills and improve every day. Post completion of course, fashion designers have a plethora of opportunities for them to build themselves in the field. If you have a strong creative bent, and want to design clothes for comfort, style and love, this is the right career for you. Ending this with a quote by the famous Ralph Lauren, “ I don’t design clothes, I design dreams.”