20 Oct Common Entrance Exams in India
The purpose of knowing entrance exams is to help in securing admissions to colleges and universities and choosing the right discipline or career. The entrance exam is different for each discipline of career and standard curriculums have been set for different entrance exams. The need for having entrance exams is basically to test the candidate’s knowledge of what they are going to utilize in the future and determine their selection. Entrance exams encompass both a descriptive and objective approach.
Key entrance exams for the courses after completing 12th grade in India
For medical courses like MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery), BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery), BAMS (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery), BVSc. (Bachelor of Veterinary Science) and several other medical courses, NEET is the entrance exam to be given by students post their 12th grade.
Exam Name: NEET (National Eligibility Entrance Test)
Conducting body: NTA (National Testing Agency)
- a. Must have a 10+2 or equivalent diploma from a recognised board, with Physics, Biology/Biotechnology, Chemistry, and English as core courses.
- b. The cut off marks for NEET 2022 is 50% marks for general category, 45% marks for PH candidates and 40% for candidates from the reserved category. (for PCB)
- c. Applicants must be 17 years old as of December 31, 2022.
- d. The applicants’ maximum number of attempts is unrestricted.
- e. Aspirers who are Indian nationals, NRIs, PIOs, OCIs, or Foreign Nationals are eligible to apply.
Exam pattern and syllabus: Topics on the official website under Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- 1) The NEET exam pattern and structure underwent several changes in the past two years. While the entire structure changed in the year 2021, the duration was increased by 20 minutes in 2022. It is expected that the NEET 2023 exam pattern will remain the same.
- 2) The mode of the examination will be offline and the duration of it will be 3 hours and 20 Minutes.
- 3) There will be 200 MCQ questions and 180 have to be attempted. The paper will be for 720 marks.
- 4) There is negative marking in the exam. +4 for each correct answer and -1 for each incorrect answer will be given.
- 5) There will be 3 sections in the paper (Two sections for each subject) in which Section A will consistent of 35 questions and Section B will consist of 15 questions (10 have to be attempted)
Tentative Date: NEET 2023 exam date is expected to be released by NTA in December 2022. Tentative dates right now are in July 2023
Other entrance exams: There are no other medical exams to get into these courses. Based on the results obtained in the exams, the student becomes eligible for government and private college seats in different courses.
For admission in courses like Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunication, etc. and several other courses, JEE Main exam is the entrance exam given by students post their 12th grade.
Exam Name: JEE Main (Joint Entrance Exam)
Conducting body: NTA (National Testing Agency)
- a. For appearing in the JEE (Main) – 2022, there is no age limit for the candidates. The candidates who have passed the class 12/equivalent examination in 2020, 2021, or appearing in 2022 irrespective of their age can appear in JEE (Main) – 2022 examination. However, the candidates may be required to fulfill the age criteria of the Institute(s) in which they are desirous of taking admission.
- b. Only those candidates who have passed the Class 12/equivalent examination in 2020, 2021, or those who are appearing in Class 12/equivalent examination in 2022, are eligible to appear in JEE (Main) – 2022.
- c. Candidates who passed the Class 12/equivalent examination in 2019 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2023 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE (Main) – 2022.
Exam pattern and syllabus: Topics on the official website under Physics, Chemistry and Math
- 1. As per the exam pattern of NTA JEE Main 2023, both the papers will be held in online computer-based mode.
- 2. For paper 1, each subject consists of 20 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and 10 Numerical Value Questions, and out of 10, only 5 questions are compulsory as per the JEE Main 2023 exam pattern. Total marks of the paper is 300 marks.
- 3. Candidates are advised to check the JEE Main exam pattern 2023 clearly before the commencement of the examination as it helps them to know about the mode of JEE Mains 2023, the number of sections & questions, questions type, marking scheme, etc.
- 4. The candidates will be awarded four marks for every correct answer while there will be a negative marking of one-fourth mark for every wrong answer.
- 5. Duration of the exam is 3 hours (180 minutes) and 4 hours for PwD candidates
Tentative Date: The NTA is expected to conduct the JEE Main 2023 exam twice. The authorities will release the JEE Main application form at jeemain.nta.nic.in 2023 tentatively in November 2022.
Other entrance exams: There are many other entrance exams which are state wise entrance exams or university specific entrance exams like BIT SAT (Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences) , VITEEE (Vellore Institute of Technology), SRMJEE (SRM University), MHCET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test), MET (Manipal University), etc.
For admission in various designing courses, there are various colleges with their own entrance exam. The various designing courses available are fashion designing, interior designing, graphic designing, website designing, etc. Amongst all the exams, I will be discussing the entrance exam for NID (National Institute of Design) in detail.
Exam Name: NID Design Aptitude Test (DAT)
Conducted by: NID
- a. Aspirants from general and general EWS categories must be up to 20 years of age on or before June 30, 2003. OBC-Non Creamy Layer/ ST/ SC candidates get a relaxation of 3 years. PwD reserved category candidates get an exemption of 5 years.
- b. Aspirants who have passed or currently appearing in the class 12 examination in any discipline (Science, Arts, Commerce, Humanities, etc) in the academic year 2021-2023 from any recognized board such as CBSE, IB, ICSE, or its equivalent are eligible for NID DAT 2023.
Exam pattern and syllabus:
Refer to the NID website for details before the exam or if there are any changes : https://admissions.nid.edu/NIDA2022/Default.aspx
- 1. The paper is conducted through pen and paper mode. The language of the paper will be English.
- 2. There will be visual and textual types of questions in the paper. Paper will be of 3 hours. The paper will be of 100 marks.
- 3. Studio Test (M.Des DAT Mains): The exam is of 100 marks. Test duration will be 3 hours in English language.
- 4. Interview: After the studio test, the interview will be conducted separately.
- 5. NID Syllabus for NID DAT exam 2023 will consist of various topics – Comprehension, Knowledge and Visualization, Creativity, Memory Drawing, Drawing Skills, General Mental Ability, etc. For the studio test, the syllabus will consist of various topics from – Observation Test, 3D Modeling, Creative Thinking, Body Language, Portfolio Making, etc.
Tentative Date: The application form for NID 2023 will commence in online mode tentatively in the 1st week of October 2022. Exams will be in June 2023 tentatively.
Other entrance exams: There are many other entrance exams which are NIFT ( National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Examination), CEED (Common Entrance Examination for Design), MITID DAT (MIT Institute of Design Design Aptitude Test), UCEED (Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design), AIEED (All India Entrance Examination for Design)
For admission in various hospitality, hotel management and travel courses, students can take admission based on merit/ through entrance exams. One of the exams that we will be focusing on which is the national exam for Hotel management is the NCHMCT JEE
Exam Name: National Council for HM and Catering Technology Joint Entrance Exam (NCHMCT JEE 2021)
Conducted by: NTA (National Testing Agency)
- a. Candidates should have completed plus two level examinations in the 10+2 pattern of Senior Secondary education of any recognized Central/State Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education and Council for Indian School Certificate Examination or State Boards of Secondary Education.
- b. Candidates belonging to General and OBC categories, the upper age limit is 22 years as on July 1, 2022. While for candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe the upper age limit is 28 years as on July 1, 2022. For Physically Challenged candidates shall be reckoned as per the category he/she belongs to i.e. General/SC/ST/OBC.
Exam pattern and syllabus:
Refer to this website for details: http://www.nchm.nic.in
- 1. The syllabus for NCHMCT JEE exam includes five sections: Numerical Ability and Analytical Aptitude, Reasoning and Logical Deductions, English Language, General Knowledge and Current Affairs, Aptitude for Service Sector.
- 2. NCHMCT JEE 2023 is of three hours duration and will be conducted as a computer-based test in June.
- 3. The test paper is bilingual, that is, all questions are available in both English and Hindi language, except the English Language section.
- 4. The duration of the exam will be 3 hours and it will include objective questions.
- 5. The test consists of a total of 200 questions.
Tentative Date: The tentative date for the exam is June.
Other entrance exams: There are many other entrance exams which are All India Management Association UG test (AIMA UGAT), Maharashtra Common Entrance Exam (MH – CET), Lovely Professional University – LPU NEST (National Entrance Exam and Scholarship Test), VELS Entrance Exam – VEE etc.
For admission in Architecture courses like Architectural engineer, Building contractor, Design managers, Set designers etc. NATA is the main entrance exam given by students post their 12th grade. One of the most popular architecture exams in India, NATA is conducted twice annually to get admission in B.Arch courses.
Exam Name: NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture)
Conducting type: Council of Architects
To study a full-time BArch programme, candidates must fulfill the eligibility requirements given below:
- a. Candidates must have passed their 10+2 examination or equivalent with Mathematics as one of the subjects.
- b. Most colleges have eligibility performance criteria of minimum 50% aggregate marks in Class XII.
- c. For a B. Tech degree in Architecture, most colleges require a minimum score of 60%.
- d. There is no age limit to apply for the exam.
- e. For admissions into IITs, NITs and SPAs, the candidate is required to clear 10+2 with Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics.
- f. Diploma Holders: Candidates who have passed the 10+3 Diploma Examination with Mathematics as a compulsory subject with at least 50% marks in aggregate are also eligible to appear for the exam.
Exam pattern and syllabus:
Topics on the official website under Physics, Chemistry and Math
- 1. As per NATA 2022, the exam would be conducted completely as a computer-based test of 3 hours duration. There will be only one section in the exam, and there will be no drawing section.. NATA 2022 will be held in three phases.
- 2. The total number of questions would be 125 questions
- 3. Total marks of the NATA exam is 200 marks
- 4. The marking scheme of the NATA entrance exam would be the questions would be for 1,2 or 3 marks.
- 5. The type of questions would be as follows:
- Multiple-Choice type (MCQ)
- Multiple Select type (MSQ)
- Preferential Choice type (PCQ)
- Numerical Answer type (NAQ)
Tentative Dates: The dates for application form for the first, second and third attempt is in the month of April. THe exams for NATA generally are conducted in June and August.
Other Entrance Exams: There are many other entrance exams like JEE (Main), JEE (Advanced), Architecture Aptitude test (AAT), Maharashtra Architecture Common Entrance Test (MH Arch CET).
For admission in a Law course to become an Advocate, Magistrate or Legal advisor, the most Common Law Entrance Test is CLAT.
Exam Name: Common Law Entrance Exam(CLAT)
Conducting Type: CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) is an all-India entrance examination held by National Law Schools/Universities (NLUs)
- a. Most of the colleges have eligibility criteria of minimum 50% aggregate marks in Class XII
- b. Some colleges also have eligibility criteria of minimum 45% aggregate marks in Class XII for general category and 40% aggregate marks in Class XII for SC & ST category candidates.
- c. There is no mandatory subject requirement in Class XII.
- d. Entry to top level colleges requires a high score in entrance tests like – CLAT /LSAT/ AILET amongst others.
Exam pattern and syllabus:
Refer to this website for details: clat.ac.in
- a. The duration of the exam is 2 hours and it will be conducted offline in English.
- b. There are objective type questions which include 150 questions and the paper is of 150 marks.
- c. Each accurate answer will receive 1 mark, while each incorrect answer will receive 0.25 mark.
- d. For syllabus, refer to the official website for CLAT
- e. Questions will focus on English Language, Current Affairs, Legal Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Techniques.
Tentative Dates: The application form of CLAT 2023 is currently open. The last date to apply for CLAT 2023 is November 13, 2022.
Other Entrance Exams: There are many other entrance exams like AILET (All India Law Entrance Test), AP LAWCET (Andhra Pradesh Common Law Entrance Test), TS LAWCET (Telangana State Law Common Entrance Test (TS LAWCET), MH CET (Law Colleges in Maharashtra).
The expert Career Counselors at RMCC assist students with the subject/stream selection and guidance to plan and prepare for Competitive examinations for their dream careers.